Sunday, June 13, 2010

Who Doesn't Love Double Chocolate Cookies?!

I figured I would start with cookies, it just seemed right. I don't know about you but I ALWAYS flip straight to the back when I get a new cookbook to see what kind of goodness I can find to make.
I love cookies warm, right out of the oven but, I enjoy this cookie more once they have cooled if I use the flax egg version. I have found that there is a hint of flax flavor in these cookies when eaten warm. If you can't help yourself and will be eating these without cooling them first go with the egg replacer option.
These are pure chocolatey awesomeness in the portability of a cookie!

Ingredients

1 Tbls of ground flaxseed (or egg replacer and water equivalent of 1 egg)
3 Tbls of water (omit if you are using egg replacer)
3/4 cup of nondairy butter, softened (I like Earth Balance)
1 cup of a vegan granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups of unbleached white flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate (or you can use vegan dark chocolate chips)

Preparation

Once you have prepared the dough you will be putting it into the fridge until it is cold. As it gets close to cold preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a blender, whip flaxseed and water together until mixture reaches a thick and creamy consistency. Set aside. If you are using egg replacer mix that up and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy. Add "flax egg" (or egg replacer) and vanilla. In a separate bowl, blend flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix until everything is well blended. If you need a little extra moisture, add a small amount of nondairy milk. Stir in chocolate chunks (or chips). Place dough in refrigerator until cold. Once chilled, form balls and place on a lined (with foil) cookie sheet. Bake approx. 9 minutes or until the tops are no longer gooey. I prefer to pull cookies when they feel a bit underdone and then allow them to "cook up" on the cookie sheet outside of the oven. The cookie ends up much more moist that way.
Place in an airtight container to store. But, like most cookies these are best the first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment