Monday, July 18, 2011

Juice FEASTING!



FINALLY! Some pictures!  I had to take these pictures with my iPhone because apparently my hubby took our camera to camp.  I don't know if capturing memories with our children is more important then my blog but, I'll handle him when he gets back :)

I had a question from one of my MANY followers about the juice fast that I am currently on.  So, I thought why not make a post about it on the blog...

Juice fasting or juice feasting (as some call it and I tend to agree with because you are drinking sooo much damn juice) is taking in all your nutrients and calories in the form of juice.  So, yup no actual eating!  The length of a juice fast is a personal choice, and I think knowing that you are in control of your fast is an important source of strength as you embark on this journey.  I am currently on Day 3 and I am attempting to go 10 days.  Your objective of the fast will help determine how long you fast.  I am currently fasting to well... to experience a fast.  I feel that the fast is a long lost technique in finding wellness and I am preparing to prescribe a fast to a client and I felt that I needed to fully understand what I was asking from her.  (My previous fasts have only been about 3 days, which I don't believe is long enough to experience the full affects of a fast).  I am also looking forward to the detox this fast will bless me with as well as a small bit of weight loss as I have hit a bit of a plateau.  

In regards to my last objective of weight loss... juice fasting is NOT about STARVING yourself to be thin.  I do NOT recommend fasting for anyone that is currently underweight and I would not attempt a fast without consulting your doctor if you are on any medications or if you have any chronic diseases or sickness.  

Now that the disclaimers are out of the way...

A fast is a way to let your body rest and process what your body has already stored.  

Before you fast I would recommend taking a few days to eliminate any unhealthy foods or habits from your diet.  So no alcohol, nicotine, caffeine etc...  Also, eliminating all animal products and eating a diet of mainly fruits and vegetables will help you transition.  And on a side note you will want to stop all nutritional supplements you are on while fasting.  They tend to upset the stomach without solid food and many supplements need food to be properly absorbed by the body anyway.  

I have read and also personally experienced that the first 3 days is the hardest.  I had a very bad headache last night and I was rather irritable but, I'm feeling much better this morning and I was actually looking forward to my morning juice.  It seems that the busier you are the easier it is to fast.  So take a walk, read whatever you enjoy to keep your mind off eating.  I have not found that I am particularly hungry on the fast, its more the act of eating that is hard for me.  I feel like, "It's noon, time for lunch" not really thinking, "It's noon, time for lunch... wait, am I even hungry".  I'm sure part of this eating on "schedule" is because I have little children and they need to eat on schedule and whenever they are hungry and in between :).   Another reason those first few days are the hardest (other then breaking the "habit" of eating) is because your body is detoxing.  Getting rid of lots of "junk" in your body.  You may experience headaches, tongue coating even skin breakouts.  This is all normal and will pass.  The important thing is too get plenty of varied juices and water to help your body cleanse.  

As I stated previously the length of your fast is up to you (or rather your body) so listen to your body.  You will obviously feel some hunger in the first few days but, that hunger will dissipate after that point.  If you feel a very deep seated hunger return after day 7 or so it is possible that your body is telling you it is ready for food again.  Another indicator (although not foolproof) is tongue coating.  With fasting your tongue may become coated with a white, yellow or gray film.  This signals your body's cleansing process and your tongue will usually clear when the detox cycle is complete.  However, not everyone's tongue will coat.  Finally if your energy level or your weight falls to low it is time to come off the fast.  Listen to your body it will tell you what it needs.  

Breaking your fast needs to be done slowly.  You have just given your body a much needed break and running out and eating an indulgent meal will probably give you a rather bad stomach ache.  So chew your foods well, stick to fruits, vegetables and broth.  Include some foods that will keep your bowels moving (I know gross!), so eat some prunes, grapes, cherries etc.  Eat some salads, steamed veggies, you can include some brown rice after the second day and then progress slowly into grains, nuts, seeds, beans etc.  I will not recommend a time frame for when it would be appropriate to add animal products back into your diet as I feel the most healthful way to eat is to abstain from all animal products.  And you may find that you feel so incredible without the rich proteins, saturated fats and cruelty that its unnecessary to add that crap back in at all.  

Oh, and one last thought... you do not have to do an Organic Juice Fast, but if you can find and afford the organic fruits and veggies I would do so.  In healing your body it is important to give it the most nutrient rich food available and juicing fruits with a side of cancer causing pesticides somewhat defeats the purpose :)  I do not live in an area that places much, if any importance on organics so initially my juice fast was approximately 90% Organic and 10% Funk.  Then I was like screw that, I will just juice what I can find that is organic... which means lots of beets, apples and kale!

Here's to health! Cheers!

Recipes to follow in the coming days...

No comments:

Post a Comment